December 2, 2006

Stars in the sky

As far back as I can remember, when I stand outside and look up into the sky at night, the first thing I see is Orion's Belt. Those three stars in a line, endlessly twinkling in the night sky. Immutable, everlasting, for all of eternity.

Pulling back on the focus, my vision encapsulates the entire constellation. Following the path of the stars, I can make out Taurus, Monoceros, Lepus and countless more groupings of stars hanging like jewels in the night.

Drifting in a circle, I can see the moon cascading silver brilliance over the hills and rooftops. Planes soaring high above my head criss cross the sky, rushing points of light. I remember when I used to think that the airplanes were actually stars moving across the skies, imaging how fast they must be flying by in space if they seem to skipping down here.

There isn't anything I love more then watching the night sky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the sky. I like that you like it. =]

- Lacie